The X Factor USA 2012: Tate Stevens Is a Little Bit Country and Little Bit Rock ‘n Roll
Tate Stevens had a bit of a rough start on The X Factor USA. Often this country singer falls victim to bad mentoring, especially tonight with an acoustic take on “Living on a Prayer” by Bon Jovi. This song is such a classic that L.A. Reid told Tate that he had to make it his own.
Part 1: Bon Jovi’s Livin’ On A Prayer
Tate tried really hard, but the truth is that it is such a classic that there’s some parts you can’t mess with. He managed to even be his own Richie Sambora, meaning he call and responded himself during most of the song. It was a bit awkward, especially when he copped out and missed the infamous high note at the end that once ruined Jon Bon Jovi’s vocal cords. Though Tate should be accredited for his effort, “Living on a Prayer” was a bit boring and not at all up to par with what Tate can do at this point.
The judges were not pleased.
- Britney Spears: I feel like you’re getting away from you do best, down the middle country. I feel like you’ll be a huge country star.
- Demi Lovato: I’m a fan of you. I truly believe that I’ll be buying your album one day. No doubt about it. I just feel that this performance was a little bit boring and you skipped on the high note. the best part.
- Simon Cowell: You doing that song on acoustic week is like taking a goldfish for a walk. You can’t do it. You have to choose the material. You don’t sing these kind of songs. Not a great song choice unfortunately.
- L.A. Reid: I naturally disagree because I love the song. You did a great job.
Part Two: Garth Brooks’ “If Tomorrow Never Comes“
Once again America hit the nail on the head with a Garth Brooks song choice for Tate Stevens. Tate’s confidence was high as he was excited to sing a song from his idol. However, I have to say that I feel that Tate is not growing like the other artists. Tate is good at what he does, but in comparison to the others he’s just your average country singer. I’m not sure he can do more at this point and it saddens me because I truly think he comes across as a good, humble man.
- Britney Spears: Now that felt like a Tate Stevens performance. That was brilliant.
- Demi Lovato: I got a little sleepy on that performance, but I’m really tired. It’s probably just me. I think you have a huge future ahead of you.
- Simon Cowell: Welcome back Tate Stevens to the competition. This is what you should be singing.
- L.A. Reid: If there’s any truth to you sort of straying away from your country roots. Thanks to America you are back and that was great.
Unreality Rating: 6/10 .. I am bored with Tate Stevens. At times it’s as if his vocals aren’t as strong as they were in the past or everyone else is getting so good that he is falling behind.