The X Factor USA 2012: Fifth Harmony Make Massive Comeback With “Give Your Heart a Break”
Fifth Harmony has a lot to prove to L.A. Reid on The X Factor USA as he continuously picks on them for “not harmonizing.” The music mogul feels they sing in unison and try to pass it off as harmonizing, which is not a great thing for a girl group. This week they set out to tack the Adele hit “Set Fire to Rain.” Big shoes to fill.
As a big Fifth Harmony fan I have to say I felt disappointed after watching tonight’s performance. It was nice to see each girl tackle a larger role in the song, but it was a bit boring. Though some judges would say they heard no harmonies, I did, but not as much as I expected after all the talk about them. From time to time they also seemed to fall off the melody, but not in a great way. Overall it was an okay performance, but I hope these girls can redeem themselves in the second performance.
- L.A. Reid: I saw two background singers over there, I see five girls in front of me. I still didn’t hear any harmony. I think you have the wrong name. I think they should have called you Fifth Unison.
- Britney Spears: i felt it was a nice rendition, but I am trying to figure out what separates you from the other girl groups.
- Demi Lovato: I still feel like it didn’t really click for me. I heard harmonies, but I still feel like there is a couple of you that should just be solo artists.
- Simon Cowell: It’s pick on Fifth Harmony week again because that was unfair criticism, L.A. There are no girl groups out there. There is a gap in the market.. I think they deserve a shot in the semi-finals last week. That was a really nice song.
Part Two: “Give Your Heart a Break” by Demi Lovato
America proved this week that they know this year’s X Factor USA talent better than the mentors. Fifth Harmony fans chose Demi Lovato’s “Give Your Heart a Break” for their Pepsi Challenge songs and it was given to the girls at just the right moment. There could be no better song for this girl group as it was full of harmonies (loud, clear and beautiful), energy, confidence and pure vocal talent. For a moment you felt like you were at a Fifth Harmony concert. The judges loved it.
- L.A. Reid: Unbelievable I actually heard harmonies and it was really good. For me that was your very best performance.
- Britney Spears: A friend of mine does this song very well and so do you guys.
- Demi Lovato: I think this song should be your song. You killed it.. I think you guys sounded better than the original.. It felt like you were a real girl group. It was energetic and fun.
- Simon Cowell: I want to thank America for choosing a great song. This is what we’ve been trying to do.. show that you are a legitimate girl group.
Unreality Rating: 8/10.. Vocally Fifth Harmony should be in second place this week. They proved they have the talent and confidence to sing circles around most of the contestants this year.