The X Factor USA 2012: Fifth Harmony From Underdogs to “The One to Beat”
The biggest problem for these girls all season has easily been confidence. The judges “supported” them, but in no way compared to other acts. However, after a surprise entry to the finale it seems they finally have the support from all four judges who recognize that they do have talent. I’ve never seen these girl perform so confidently, and it happened just at the right time.
The girls first took stage with “Anything Goes” as their song of the season. This song was really their turning point. Tonight they brought a tea party back to life on stage and made everyone feel a little magical inside- even L.A. Reid.
- L.A. Reid: I don’t know what you did Simon, but I swear the first time I saw them as a group I thought it could never work. Now I’m looking at them and it’s magical. I don’t know what to say. The bad news is you were the underdogs and now you’re the ones to beat.
- Britney Spears: It’s the best song choice.. it’s spectacular, girly and fun.
- Demi Lovato: You guys are so powerful together. I hope America pulls through and votes for you guys. You’ve worked so hard and I’m impressed.
- L.A. Reid: I believe they’re a group. I don’t believe they met on The X Factor.
- Simon Cowell: You have made me so proud tonight girl. It’s worked because these girls made it happen. I like sometimes being the underdog.
The girls returned again with a duet starring Demi Lovato. They appropriately sang “Give Your Heart a Break,” the song that honestly feels like it was wrote for these girls. I have to take a moment to say that Demi Lovato proved tonight exactly why she’s a mentor on this show. Not only did she step back and let these girls shine with HER hit, but she actually sang really well on national television. She may be young, but she’s really quite talented herself.
Demi had nothing but good things to say about singing with The X Factor’s girl group. ”It was so much fun. These girls are so easy to work. They are so down to earth. So sweet. I love you guys.”
Simon Cowell had to suck up his pride as well. ”It pains me to say this, but Demi Lovato you were sensational. That is what I call pop perfection what just happened. Any time you want to join this group Demi.”
The girls gave America one last impression before it was time to vote with The Beatles’ classic “Let it Be.” As much as I love Fifth Harmony, I had my doubts. No one should ever take on a Beatles song because they’re classics. However, as L.A. pointed out these girls “did it justice.” They were harmonizing well and added their own respectful spin to the song.
- L.A. Reid: You are like magic happening before our eyes.. that was beautiful.
- Britney Spears: You guys have truly blossomed as a group and you’ve come a long way. that was great.
- Demi Lovato: It just hit me how much you’ve grown and evolved. I’m really, really proud of you.
- Simon Cowell: I am more than proud. You’re not a group. You’re five great singers. It’s important to remember that. I like all three contestants, but I truly believe that you deserve to win this competition.
Did you vote for Fifth Harmony to win The X Factor USA?