X Factor USA Semi-Finals 2012: Fifth Harmony perform Anything Could Happen and Impossible
When comparing the four final acts on The X Factor USA, the underdog is easily Fifth Harmony. The saddest part of Fifth Harmony being the underdog is that these girls are exactly what the music industry needs. Right now there is a huge hole where a girl group would fit perfectly, especially one with the charisma and talent of Fifth Harmony.
However, tonight’s performances may have cost them a chance to forever ride the coat tails of winning The X Factor.
The girls chose Ellie Goulding’s “Anything Could Happen.” I wasn’t sold at first on the entire performance as they childishly sat around a tea table in costumes. However, as their harmonies hit in the chorus it was truly a magical experience. It’s an unlikely song, but something that people will be talking about.
The judges were highly impressed.
- L.A. Reid: That performance was the very best vocal performance you’ve ever done. I didn’t like the waiters wasn’t my taste, I don’t go to that restaurant. I thought it was an inventive vocal. I was proud of you.
- Britney Spears: I loved everything about it. It was like magic.
- Demi Lovato: I think the dresses, everything, it was so cute. You pulled out the little sparkle I think you need sometimes.
- Simon Cowell: We’re not going to kid each other. You’ve come into this competition as underdogs, so to get into the finals will be a miracle. After that performance, like the lyric said, anything can happen.
Part 2: Impossible by Shontelle
Simon Cowell asked the girls to sing Shontelle’s “Impossible” for their second performance, but this could hurt them. This is the same song they first sang as a group at Simon’s home. Demi Lovato and L.A. Reid thought this was a bad idea because it’s a repeat song. However, speaking as someone who watches this show every week.. I would not have remembered back that far to what they sang.
Tonight the girls did an okay job with “Impossible.” In comparison to the first performance it was dull, but “Impossible” gave each one of the girls a moment to shine. The oddest thing was that they chose to sing some parts in Spanish. This completely threw me off because the Spanish lyrics were in the oddest spots. It felt as if the Spanish lyrics would have been more effective in one spot rather than every other measure.
- L.A. Reid: This was is going to be difficult for me. I think the song choice was a little bit lazy because you’ve done it before. I’ve heard it. You did a decent job, but we’re at the place in the competition where the competition is stiff.
- Britney Spears: I felt like ti was pretty good, but at this point int he competition it is stiff and I’d be surprised if you’re here next week.
- Demi Lovato: I think that it’s going to come down to your fan base and how much they vote. I hope they pull through for you. I am a little worried.
- Simon Cowell: I think it was the right thing to do that song. It was a reminder why I fell in love with you as a group in the first place.. I think you’ve been one of the strongest acts tonight. If we’re going to judge based on tonight, I really hope and pray that America gets behind you and puts you into the final. I do think you deserve a place there.
Did you vote for Fifth Harmony this week?