The X Factor USA 2012: Diamond White Fails to Shine Bright With “Diamonds”
You can’t help but feel a little bad for Diamond White after she made her way into the bottom two last week on The X Factor USA. She’s so young and innocent that you want to be rooting in her corner. This week she came back fighting with an acoustic version of “It’s a Man’s World” by James Brown.
The song was perfect to show that she wants to be in the competition and has some fight left in her. She sounded great because ballads are her “thing,” and she had attitude. You truly felt like she meant every word she was singing. The judges had mixed feelings since it was the second time we’ve seen this song from her.
- L.A. Reid: That was really different for you. This week you brought attitude and I love attitude. You brought showbiz.. and you also sang your butt off. That was great.
- Demi Lovato: That was definitely risky singing a song that you’ve done before, but you pulled it off.
- Simon Cowell: It’s a huge song. It was a little bit screechy in parts to be honest with you, but then you made up for it at the end. I actually had wished you chose a different song because we heard you sing this song before.. it was great.
- Britney Spears: First of all, I’m so proud of you. This song is hard to pull off. Not only did you pull it off, but you destroyed it.
Part Two – Rihanna’s “Diamonds”
With a name like “Diamonds” you would think that it is the perfect song for Diamond White. However, I found this to be almost as painful to watch as the trainwreck also known as Cece Frey. It was nice to see Diamond step a little out of her comfort zone with something more upbeat, but she struggles with anything that requires moving. The song didn’t fit her voice well because she doesn’t have the same control over it as Carly Rose Sonenclar does.
- L.A. Reid: I really like you, I really like that song. Unfortunately I didn’t love your rendition of it.
- Demi Lovato: I’m very critical of this song because one of my good friends wrote it. You definitely did it justice.
- Simon Cowell: I thought second half was better than the first song. Production- amazing job. It’s just your luck that you’re in a very, very competitive top six, or top five actually. Overall I think you’ve had a good night.
- Britney Spears: I feel as if this song was made for you. Your voice was spectacular.
Unreality Rating: 7/10. It was a great start for Diamond White during the acoustic songs, but she struggled in her Pepsi Challenge. The biggest problem for Diamond is that she’s not diverse enough. Though it would be nice to see Diamond next week, it’s likely that we won’t.