The X Factor USA 2012: Cece Frey Gets Vulnerable With Lady Gaga, Bombs With Katy Perry
Cece Frey is the underdog this season on The X Factor USA. Tonight she kicked off the show with an acoustic version of Lady Gag’s “Edge of Glory.” The song was the perfect fit for Cece who in a way is trying to be just like the “artsy” popstar. She felt she could use the song to show that she really does have the talent to be on the show, but unfortunately this didn’t come across too well.
The song started off strong, so I will be fair and admit that I do like the tone to Cece’s voice when she is in mid-octave. However, the moment she jumps to the high or low notes, she falls off pitch. Some people can cover this up with adlibbing, but Cece just sounds awful. When the chorus kicked in she once again showed that she doesn’t have any control over her voice. Any time that she needs to have a bit of power she comes off more as shouting than singing. I’m not sure how she and Demi miss this when they play back performances each week. The more she shouts, the more off pitch she gets.
- L.A. Reid: You know what we’ve proven? Sometimes we get it wrong because I’m becoming a fan. It was good.
- Britney Spears: I have to disagree. I think right now at this point in the competition it should be great, but that was just good.
- Simon Cowell: When I talk to you back stage I like you, you’re a nice person. I don’t think you’re worth a $5 million recording contract. I thought it was good. It was a little too cabaret for me more than acoustic. It was good, but not great.
- Demi Lovato: I have to disagree, Cece. I think it was your best vocal performance. There’s a reason why you’ve stayed in this competition. It’s because of your fans at home.
Part Two- Katy Perry’s “Part of Me”
Fans voted for Cece to perform “Part of Me” and this could have been a huge comeback for the wanna be popstar.
Cece, Cece, Cece. I’ve decided she has two big downfalls. 1. She has no definite personality and if you do you fail to show it. Every time she comes out on stage she has a different style to match whatever song she is performing. If it’s anything I’ve learned from carefully watching singing competitions is that this is the key to failure. Copycats don’t win, it’s those who know who they are as artists. I was turned off of this performance the moment that Cece appeared with dyed hair just like Katy Perry would have on. Her outfit also looked like she pulled it from Katy Perry’s closet.
2. I feel like a broken record saying this, but STOP SHOUTING. I actually really liked this performance at first. I thought Katy Perry was a good choice because she, like Cece, does not have a strong singing voice. There is little range in most of her songs. Cece sounded quite strong at the beginning of the song, but the moment that the background singers came in she started shouting again. After the chorus she then went into an awkward rap, and I decided I was too uncomfortable with the chaotic vocal mess. You almost had me for the first time this season, Cece!
The judges could not agree with the quality of this performance.
- L.A. Reid: Cece, you know how to make this difficult for me. I loved you earlier. Not loving it. I felt like that was karaoke. If there was ever a karaoke performance, that was it.
- Britney Spears: I found it very entertaining. I felt like you always look like you’re having fun on stage. I loved it.
- Simon Cowell: I actually liked how you were defiant during that entire performance. If you do go, I will miss you because you’re a trier.
Unreality Rating: 6/10- Cece was bearable this week, but let’s be honest- she’s NOTHING compared to everyone else on this show. It makes me annoyed that better talent was voted off and she remains week after week. I’m waiting for her to prove that she belongs in the competition, but she doesn’t do this. Her vocals are terrible and she has little confidence.
Do you think Cece will FINALLY be eliminated this week?