The X Factor USA 2012: Carly Rose Sonenclar Shocks Judges With Justin Bieber and Beyonce Hits
Carly Rose Sonenclar is at the top of The X Factor USA leaderboard, but we know this is not a guarantee each week. To help her grow as an artist, mentor Britney Spears pushes Carly Rose Sonenclar. This week she gave her the challenging task of turning “As Long As You Love Me” by Justin Bieber into an acoustic song.
L.A. Reid admitted he had no idea how she would make this work, and even Carly agreed that it would be hard. This song is as good as it is because of all the production with. However, in normal Carly Rose/Britney style the pair turned this song into a sultry number that you got lost in as she sang. The stripped down version was so pleasant to listen to and watch because she nailed each note. Sure, she had a few moments to remind you that her voice is phenomenal, but she showed a different side that was tender and not as powerful this week.
The judges loved what they saw.
- L.A. Reid: The one thing that I’ve always been concerned about is how you can handle yourself as a recording artist. What I loved about that performance is you showed some constraint. That was maybe your best for my taste.
- Demi Lovato: I love when I hear unplugged versions that are better than the original.
- Simon Cowell: This is why I love working in this country. We find people like you. I have to tell you I have seen a star emerge in front of me. What I like about you is that a lot of girls your age can be quite annoying as singers. You’re actually really cool.
- Britney Spears: I am so proud of you and I think the most impressive thing about you is each week you make the song your own.
Not only does Carly Rose Sonenclar have a great voice, but clever move singing a Justin Bieber song. She can count on all the Belieber votes, too!
Part Two: Beyonce’s “If I Were A Boy”
Fans chose Beyonce’s “If I Were a Boy” for the 13-year-old girl wonder for the Pepsi Challenge, and though it pains me to say this, I was not impressed with Carly Rose for the first time in weeks. Yes, Carly Rose sounded great, but it was more copycat than anything to me. Normally Carly Rose takes a song and does something unpredictable, so I was a bit disappointed when she just sang the song as presented. I did like seeing a lower range to her voice though.
The judges loved what they saw on stage tonight.
- L.A. Reid: As a judge and mentor every time you step on stage I get nervous because I know you’re going to be good.
- Demi Lovato: That’s a phenomenal vocal.. I do want to hear something uptempo.
- Simon Cowell: Here’s some really, really good advice. Don’t listen to a single word this one has said (Demi). Slightly odd lyric for you to be singing. You have had a phenomenal night tonight.
- Britney Spears: You are the definition of The X Factor. You are stunning.
Unreality Rating: 9/10- There’s no doubt that Carly Rose is the best singer on the show and she should win, but tonight I didn’t LOVE her second performance as usual. “If I Were a Boy” was missing some of the Carly Rose magic.