Chicago Fire fall finale: Will Casey die in ‘Not Like This’

Jesse Spencer as Casey in Chicago Fire

Disaster looms as the team responds to an apartment fire in the midseason finale of Chicago Fire. The teaser clip for the episode, Not Like This, is pretty melodramatic this time around: Casey himself says “One shift can change someone’s life”, and although that’s probably fire academy talk for how they can save members of the public, it looks like Casey might be the one whose life changes.

The trailer carries the ominous lines: One Final Shift. One Final Fire. One Final Save. But before we get into the details of the climactic storyline, here’s the synopsis for Not Like This, including some hints at Boden’s ongoing battle to save the Firehouse:

Chief Boden and the squad prepare to fight the decision to close Firehouse 51. Meanwhile, danger looms as the team responds to an emergency call at an apartment building; Dawson receives major news; and union president Greg Sullivan makes headlines.

Okay. Back to Casey. Would Chicago Fire kill off one of their biggest names? Given the trend in television to kill off much-loved characters (mostly cable, but I wouldn’t put it past a network series to follow suit), it’s not certain that Casey will survive the episode.

In the clip you’re about to see, Casey is in the middle of rescuing a child from a burning building. But when he’s escaping the fire, a beam collapses on him. Boden calls out to him, and we see a blood-soaked Casey struggling outside with the child. So, as the crew at Firehouse 51 prepares to work out their last shift together, it’s possible that for Casey, this may be his final shift ever.

Do you think the show would really kill off a main character? Let me know in the comments.

This season of Chicago Fire has been a wild ride. With the ongoing threat of closure and Boden’s battle with his superiors, through Shay’s struggles following witnessing a man shoot himself, the drama this season has been excellent. This show thrives on the relationships between the tight-knit family in the Firehouse, and this season season has successfully built on the strong first season that set Chicago Fire apart from the competition.

by Gerard McGarry on December 4th, 2013

Gerard is the founder and editor of Unreality TV. He writes about TV dramas as well as reality TV talent shows and is obsessed by sci-fi and Doctor Who. Follow him on Twitter @gerrybot or Google+

Tags: ,

Don't miss a story: Follow Unreality TV

27 thoughts on “Chicago Fire fall finale: Will Casey die in ‘Not Like This’

1. Devony W. says:

I Don’t Believe They Will Kill Him Off,, Especially When Him And Dawson FINALLY Get Togeher!!

1. Brian Keith Cherrick says:

Well they killed off Halley (albeit she was a minor character imo) when her and Matt reconnected last season.

1. Denise Henderson says:

I will not watch the show any more if they kill any of the stars. Does anyone know when the next season will begin?

1. Brittany says:

it begins January 7th and I love casey so I probably wont watch since him and dawson finally dot together but I don’t think he will die

2. BECKY DELOACH says:

I really hope they don’t kill Casey off because the show will not be worth watching for me anymore. It is really heating up with him and Dawson and I love that. I am sure they will keep him on but spice the story line up. #lovechicagofire

1. Ava- maria says:

I totally agree with you…. That is exactly how I feel

3. Dawn says:

Well maybe he’s negotiating his new contract. So know one knows. Or maybe he’s been offered another leading role in something else. I thk if he’s being written out the would have killed him off at the end. Don’t go Casey/Chase!

2. Dormey says:

I hope not. Casey and Dawson need to be together.

3. Shaheda M says:

They killed off his fiancee…They are closing the fire house, I don’t know how they are going to keep him, maybe he wanted out of his contract and can’t say anything. I love Casey but I have a strong feeling NBC is gonna ax him.

4. Heather says:

They’re not going to kill off one of the best loved characters in the show that is doing so well at the moment. Furthermore, the actor Jesse Spencer has made it pretty clear how much he enjoys playing ‘Matt Casey’. Also, from a couple of reliable sources – he has been seen filming on the set very recently :). So as “dramatic” next episode might be, Casey WILL make it! You are welcome ;).

5. chase says:

No they will save casey , he is the head of truck , plus if they ever do get rid of casey , they will have a load of angry fans on their hands.

1. Brian Keith Cherrick says:

Well they been showing a lot of Herman’s push on the LT exam lately … so it’s possible they are axing casey. Could want out of his contract, or just have other things going on. Plus it looks like Clark is becoming a regular.

6. Justin Gorup says:

Won’t kill him off but believe he will suffer some brain injury…maybe in the form of memory loss. He isn’t going to remember what’s going on with him and Dawson. He may not even remember Hallie dying. Herman will pass the test and be a fill-in Leutenint. Dawson is either pregnant or getting accepted into med-school. Anyone else remember she was taking pre-med classes early in Season 1?

1. Sharon says:

I had forgotten she was taking the premed classes. That can put a different spin on things.

2. Sharon says:

When they have been showing the preview clips of Chicago Cops, I have been trying to see if Mills is in the group. I don’t think he will change over and strongly feel Chief Boden is Mill”s Dad.

7. Fregna says:

They can’t kill off a main character.

8. Ana says:

I will be so angry if they kill Casey off. He is my favorite character on the show. I will stop watching if they kill him off.

9. olivia says:

If they kill him off i wull most likely never watch the show again.

10. sue kuroda says:

I want to see Casey and Dawson get married on the next season. They need a married couples lives on this series. Thank you.

11. Lea says:

I think that Casey will survey but there will be some sort of plot twist. Also, I read something about Gabby becoming a firefighter..? And Severide training her…that could be an interesting couple down the road. I guess we’ll find out more soon!

12. Alexis says:

if they really kill casey off not many people are going to watch it after that so they MUST keep him around. and besides he and dawson JUST got together no way is he going anywhere.

13. Vera says:

I sure hope they don’t kill off Casey. He’s one of my favorite characters on the show. I really think killing him off would make the ratings go down. The show needs Casey.

14. Rachael says:

I will NOT Watch if they kill Casey off. You will loose a lot of viewers.

15. Alyssa says:

I don’t think they would kill him off because of them losing viewers but thinking back at older episodes I remember Herman took the test to be a lutenint so I also have a feeling he is gonna take him place. He also might fill in until he recovers.

16. Zac says:

I also don’t think that Casey will be killed of because of the luv between Casey and Dawson so if he gets killed off my whole family won’t watch Chicago fire and I have 439 family members,hopefully he will survive.

17. Becca says:

I’m 14 it’s my most favourite show ever And every Tuesday myself and my brother ,7, watch it it’s part of out routine :/ Casey is my favourite character if he’s killed off myself and my little brother will never watch it again

Comments are closed.