The Voice: Blake Shelton calls Caroline Pennell a “badass vocalist”!
Adorable high school student Caroline Pennell auditioned for The Voice with a mesmerising version of Ellie Goulding’s Anything Could Happen. The 17 year old was clearly nervous in advance of her audition, but she more than made up for it with a charming and vulnerable vocal that instantly attracted coaches Cee Lo and Blake to turn their chairs for her.
In a complete contrast to Kat Robichaud’s brash and ballsy performance before her, Caroline was understated and allowed her quirky, folksy voice to carry the performance. We’ve loved singers like this on The Voice in the past, and there’s a lot of material Caroline can possibly cover when she gets to later rounds – she name-checked Florence and the Machine, and there’s already a beautiful Lumineers cover floating around YouTube. Our one concern is how she’ll stack up at Battle Rounds where she could be outperformed by a stronger vocalist.
What the coaches said
- Blake Shelton: When she sang the lyric “anything can happen”, she realised that anything can happen.
- Adam Levine: You’ve such an engaging voice.
- Cee Lo Green: An emulation and an imitation are two different things. Do you feel that the artist that inspired you met you halfway? Do you already feel that you had that in you?
- Adam Levine: You’re like the sweetest thing on Earth.
- Christina Aguilera: There was one moment too, when you giggled when they turned their chairs. I loved it because it was real.
- Blake Shelton: You had our attention with just your tone and that sweetness and that warmth. Her voice is relaxed. It’s not a fake sound, it just easily flows out.
After making eyes toward Blake Shelton quite a bit before choosing her coach, we were surprised when Caroline eventually went with Cee Lo Green. Not that Cee Lo isn’t a great mentor, but we genuinely believed Blake had swayed her! Oops!
Watch Caroline Pennell’s blind audition of Anything Could Happen once more time. What did you think?