The Voice: Benji Kuriakose auditions with Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
Hmmm. You might not have noticed it until Benji Kuriakose took the stage for his blind audition, but The Voice has been lacking a solid rock voice this year. The 24 year old from Orlando, Florida graced us with a throaty, satisfying version of Bob Dylan/Guns N Roses’ (take your pick) Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door that ended with a money note no-one’s going to forget for a while.
The cumulative effect of this exciting audition was Cee Lo grinding in his chair and Adam Levine’s perfunctory punch of the red button once he decided he wanted Benji. We’ve mentioned a couple of times in this episode that singers like Joselyn or Trevanne were struggling to keep their cool during the high notes. Not so with former racing driver Benji – he squawked his way through the classic track with ease, all the while adding in some nice little vocal gymnastics of his own.
So, Adam pushed his button first, followed later by Cee Lo. We loved Cee Lo’s little feet dancing with excitement in his chair. But at the end of the day, Benji chose Adam Levine’s team. Maybe it was because Christina said the two sounded similar?
What the coaches said
- Adam Levine: Benji, you have a scream that should be heard by the entire world, man. You got a thing. A lot of times when people have the rasp that you have, it’s one speed. It’s crazy all the time. But your dynamic was really surprising because you had range, but you could clean it up and make it really pristine. You could end up winning this, man. I really believe that.
- Christina Aguilera: I did love your screams. That was amazing. I almost pushed because of that. You had really really great moments and I almost pushed because of that. And honestly, you kind of sounded like you had a little bit of an Adam tone to you.
- Blake Shelton: I don’t think he sounds like a jackass at all! Why would you say something like that?
- Cee Lo Green: You doing that scream, that was impressive. I’m just at a loss for words at the minute, man. I just wanna be among some cool people, who got heart, who got soul and who are brave enough to do their thing, win lose or draw, man.
- Adam: That was a lot of words for someone who’s lost for words…
Unreality rating: 8/10 – solid voice, looking forward to hearing more from Benji! What’s your rating?