American Idol 2013: Amber Holcomb Shows Talent and Personality With Beyonce Hit!
The judges may have thought that Candice Glover stole the first half of the show, but truly it was Amber Holcomb. Tonight Amber took a risk with the highly popular song “I Say a Little Prayer.”
This is a song she could have easily been a flop, but Amber took the classic and modernized it enough to shine. I loved that she chose an upbeat song finally and not only sounded good, but slowly let loose a tiny bit. The judges loved what they saw with this nearly flawless performance.
- Nicki Minaj: What the hell just happened right now? I am bowing down right now for you little girl. I wanted to give you a standing ovation. You are unbelievable Amber. You are everything. Just now with that combined with everything you’ve done, you’ve just become my favorite girl in the competition. You chose the perfect song. A song people love, but it didn’t sound old fashioned. You had the twinkle back in your eye. I couldn’t stop smiling.
- Randy Jackson: The competition just started tonight. At this point in the competition I’m looking at who wants to win this. Amber is trying to win.
- Mariah Carey: I loved how the transition you made. You took a chance and decided to be Amber.. You can do most songs a lot of justice.
- Keith Urban: I love that you never over perform.. It was like this summer breeze flew in. It was floating and never let me go the whole time. You never oversing. You’ve got all the skill to do that and you know how to do it. You feel it. It’s always felt. Beautiful.
Amber came back with Beyonce’s “Love on Top.” I was going to harp on how I still felt she lacked personality in her first performance, but I can’t help but say.. FINALLY.. after watching her Beyonce song choice. Amber was dancing and actually looked comfortable and as if she was having a good time up there! The biggest struggle she has is that when she shows the personality her vocals slip a bit. I’d go as far to say the end even sounded like she was shouting. Not the best vocally, but her attitude and performance made up for it.
- Mariah Carey: America loves you. As does this crowd. I felt like you were happy singing this song and enjoying your song. Not my favorite vocals of yours. Be proud though.
- Keith Urban: It was beautiful. It was a great song choice for you. I love that you know what songs go with who you are. It was a natural fix. We were all dancing up here.
- Nicki Minaj: Beyonce you better look out wherever you at. You have arrived in every sense of the word. Vocally, your charisma. How you look. The stallion legs are popping.
- Randy Jackson: All I can say is yes, yes, yes! This girl is in it to win it.
Amber should have no problem sticking around this week. However, top four? Not likely. If she is voted off, I’m sure the judges will save her.